You have heard that moderate alcohol consumption is actually good for the health. According to a study conducted by the School of Public Health at Harvard University, moderate amounts of alcohol will raise the levels of HDL (High-density Lipoprotein) or “good cholesterol”. Higher HDL levels mean better protection against heart diseases.
A study conducted by Carnegie Mellon University’s Department of Psychology revealed that alcohol consumption led to a reduction in developing a common cold. Another study conducted by the University of East Anglia exposed that drinking two units of alcohol could reduce the risk of gallstones by one-third. Moderate alcohol consumption can also reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
When you hear moderate, it is defined as having up to one drink per day for healthy adult women and up two drinks per day or healthy adult men. know the benefits and the right amount to consume, it is time to learn about your options. You have to know that the most popular types of alcoholic beverages include beer, wine, and spirits.
Understanding beer options
You have to know that beer is considered one of the world’s oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverages. It is brewed from cereal grains like malted barley, rice, corn, and wheat. It has different types to include:
• Ale: this is fermented from malted barley using brewer’s yeast.
• Large beer: this is fermented and put at low temperatures to give them milder taste and light color.
• Fruit beer: created by putting flavor extracts to the beer instead of fermenting the fruit.
• Wheat beer: as the name indicates, this beer is made with wheat, which gives them their unique taste. This beverage is common in Europe.
Understanding wine options
Wine is made with the fermented juice of grapes. However, wine can be made with any fruit but most are made with wine grapes. It has different types to include:
• Red wine: this is made from red or black grapes. It has more complex taste than
• White wine: this is made from white grapes. It has a lighter taste compared to red
• Rose wine: this is also made from red grapes but it undergoes the special process to
look like a rose.
• Champagne: also called a sparkling wine that attributes its bubbles from the
• Fortified wine: this refers to wines that are distilled to make them stronger. Fortified
wines are popular because it is easy to transport them around the world.
Understanding spirit options
Spirits refer to alcoholic beverages that have been distilled to make it stronger. It has different types to include:
• Whiskey: this is made from grain mash ferment.
• Vodka: this is distilled from potatoes or grains.
• Tequila: this is made from blue agave plant ferment.
• Rum: this is made from sugarcane juice.
• Absinthe: this is made from different flowers.
• Gin: this is made from juniper berries ferment.
• Liqueurs: this includes a wide range of drinks that add herbs, fruits, spices, and
Thankfully, you can buy alcohol with ease through Booze Up London. You will surely reap the benefits if you drink in moderation. To enjoy alcoholic beverages, you should understand your options so you make an informed decision at the end of the day.